- Breast Implant Revision
Breast Implant Revision
Get New Implants With Breast Revision Surgery
When the woman first opts for breast augmentation surgery with implants, she rarely considers about having to go for another surgery, compulsorily. Breast implants are not permanent; most of the implants have a lifetime of about ten years after which, it is best to change it with new implants. For replacing these implants, the surgeon performs a breast revision surgery.
However, that is not the only time when a patient opts for breast revision surgery. In fact, the surgeon may also recommend breast revision surgery inn the following situations:
· Dissatisfied with the appearance of the implants
· Puncture or damage to the implants
· Changes in the appearance of the breast shape and size due to lifestyle changes and pregnancy
· Formation of scar tissue around the breast implants
· Changing to a different style of implant
Breast revision surgery is a specific procedure that concentrates on reshaping and resizing the breasts as per the customization requirements of the patients. It is a detailed process performed to create the right shape and size of the breasts that stay on for many years. It is best for women who didn’t get the desired results in in the first breast augmentation surgery.
Preparing Yourself for Breast Revision Surgery
Are you going for breast revision surgery because you are unhappy with the first breast augmentation procedure? If yes, then you need to wait for at least two months for the breasts to heal properly. You can consult the same surgeon who performed the breast augmentation procedure. If you are highly dissatisfied with the particular surgeon, then you can go for any other plastic surgeon.
It is highly vital to have realistic expectations from your breast revision surgery. Choose the size and shape of the breasts that look good on you and are in proportion to your figure. It is not advisable to go by the photographs of celebrities as a reference, as it is almost impossible to replicate the same breasts for you too.
The surgeon will take a mammogram, MRI or an ultrasound to see the position of the implants and the size of your actual breasts. After physical inspection and consultation with your medical tests, he will discuss the course of the surgery with you.
· It is essential to stop smoking for at least a month before the surgery until your breasts heal.
· Do not take any anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen, which can increase bleeding and slow down the recovery period.
· The surgeon may suggest some medications or make changes to your current medications to prepare your body for the surgery.
The Steps Involved in a Breast Revision Surgery
The surgeon may use a combination of revision procedures to attain the best results for the patient. The overall procedure of the breast revision surgery remains the same with just a few changes.
The surgeon may recommend either general anesthesia or local anesthesia for your comfort. You will be unconscious throughout the surgery when the anesthetist administers general anesthesia. This procedure is not advisable with local anesthesia.
Making the Incision
The surgeon makes the incision usually in the same location where the previous incision was made. This will prevent multiple visible incisions around your breasts.
After creating the incisions, thefollowing procedure may differ based on the patient’s requirements.
· If it is a simple breast implant swapping surgery, the surgeon will remove the existing implants, place the new implants in its place, and close the incisions.
· If you have pain from the scar tissue, then the surgeon may remove the implants along with the scar tissue and replace a new set of implants.
· If you are not happy with the location of the implants, the surgeon will reposition the same implants according to the position you want and stitch back the incisions.
· Sometimes, you may want a breast lift procedure combined with breast revision for which the surgeon will use additional surgical techniques.
Depending on your expectations from the breast revision procedure, the surgeon will make the modifications and stitch up the incisions as before.
The Phase of Recovery after Breast Revision Procedure
After the completion of the surgery, you will be kept under observation for a few hours. You can return home soon after the same day. It is better to arrange someone to pick you up from the hospital and take care of you for the next few days.
The surgeon will instruct you to wear a special bra continuously till your breasts heal completely. The recovery process for breast revision surgery is similar to what you went through after the breast augmentation.
The recovery period may differ based on the intensity of the surgery. If it is just a replacement of the implants, then you can return to your work after three weeks. If the surgery gets combined with any other procedure, then your recovery period can be anywhere between 5 to 8 weeks.
Make sure to follow all the instructions the surgeon provides. In case of any discomfort, sudden pain or swelling, contact the surgeon immediately.
Summing up, when previous breast augmentation loses its contours and appeal, breast revision surgery becomes a necessity. Other factors like damaged implants, dissatisfaction with the implants or the urge to change the style of implant, etc. may also tempt you to go for this surgery. In any case, approaching the best surgeon around you would be advisable. It is better to visit the same surgeon who performed your first implant surgery. However, if you were dissatisfied by the results of his surgery, you should switch over to some other better surgeon.