Cryolipolysis – The Safe and Comfortable Nonsurgical Fat Reduction Method
Do you want to get rid of those stubborn fat pockets, but get goose bumps with the mere thought of going under the knife? If yes, Cryolipolysis is the best non-surgical method to fulfill your cause. Also popular with the patented name of “Cool Sculpting”, this treatment involves controlled freezing of the patient’s body to cool the fatty tissues. Excess cooling turns them to crystals, and the body then decomposes these fat cells naturally.
This non-invasive cooling technique is effective in reducing the excess fat from targeted areas like upper and lower abdomen, upper arms, chin, breast, buttocks, etc. It is suitable for patients who found it hard to break free from the bulging body fat despite doing regular exercises and going on dieting. Although it is a completely safe body contouring technology, you should make sure to get the treatment under the supervision of an expert physician, dermatologist or plastic surgeon only.
Who is a good candidate for Cryolipolysis?
Due to the non-invasive nature, almost anyone willing to reduce excess fat may opt for this treatment. Still, the potential candidates for Cryolipolysis:
• Are not obese and within 2-3 kgs of their ideal body weight
• Have soft and pinch able fat area beneath their skin
• Would never like top opt for invasive surgery due to fears
• Are overweight but in good health
• Are leading a healthy lifestyle
• Are not having blood thinners
• Do not have any psychological affect with respect to cold temperatures
What are the targeted areas for Cryolipolysis?
You can visit a Cryolipolysis treatment clinic if you want to reduce fat from these body areas:
• Inner and outer thighs
• Flanks or love handles
• Double chin
• Back fat
• Breast fat
• Banana roll or under the buttocks
How to prepare for Cryolipolysis?
Cryolipolysis does not require any prior preparation. You would only need to care for few simple things:
• Just go for it: You can simply fix the appointment with your doctor and go for the Coolsculpting. Just make sure that you are healthy enough and within the range of your targeted weight.
• It’s not for obese people: Be mindful that it is not a weight loss program so if you are obese or overweight, you should better opt for liposuction instead of Cryolipolysis treatment. This nonsurgical fat reduction method can only help you get rid of the body bulges.
• Avoid prior medications: As precautionary measures, it is better not to take any anti-inflammatory medicine like aspiring prior to the treatment. This will enable you to minimize bruising caused to the applicator’s suction.
• Take photos before & after: Your doctor will capture your photos before and after the treatment, which will help you know about the improvement in the targeted areas.
What is the procedure of Cryolipolysis?
Here is the procedure to perform this nonsurgical fat reduction treatment:
• A surgeon or cool sculpting specialist performs the treatment with a handheld device. The equipment consists of applicators that resemble very much to that of vacuum cleaner nozzles.
• The expert does thorough assessment of the shape and size of the fatty area that needs treatment.
• He chooses the applicator of a suitable size and curvature accordingly.
• The Cryolipolysis specialist then marks the targeted area to place the applicator.
• Next, he places gel pad to safeguard the skin from the cooling effect.
• Through the applicator, he imparts controlled cooling to concerned fatty area.
• The applicator sucks the tissue between the cooling plates to start cooling process.
• As the applicator’s temperature decreases, the fatty area goes numb.
• When the vacuum pulls the fatty tissue, the patient may experience little uneasiness, but it lasts only till the area becomes numb.
• The treatment continues for around 35 minutes to one hour after which the specialist removes the applicator
• For better results, the expert will massage the area(s) thus treated immediately to break any cooled deep tissue
• This will enable the body to accept the frozen fat cells and will contribute to the results.
During the entire process, the patients can simply sit and relax while reading, watching TV, or keeping glued to their smarthphone. Due to its non-surgical nature, the patient does not need to administer anaesthesia.
Some of the patients may want the treatment of multiple fatty areas. Clinics have generally multiple machines to adhere to any such request of their patients.
The possible risks of Cryolipolysis
Originally, cool sculpting, a brand name for Cryolipolysis method intended at performing cold-assisted treatment for flanks and abdomen. Later on, the FDA allowed it to treat multiple body locations. It does not have any severe health risks, and it doesn’t shoot the fat level in the bloodstream either. At the best, it has no harmful effects on the liver.
One can however encounter the risks related to surface asymmetry and irregularities. Patients expecting too much may get disappointment. In a little less than 1% cases, the patient could fall prey to paradoxical fat hyperplasia, which refers to an abnormal rise in the fat cells. As compared to women, this problem is likely to affect men three times more.
Are there any Cryolipolysis side effects?
As in the case of any other treatment, Cryolipolysis side effects are also likely to occur. Thankfully, because Cryolipolysis treatment is non-invasive, it invites little side effects as compared to other procedures. Some of the most common ones during the treatment may include:
• Tingling and sensation due to intense sold
• Sensory deficits like Stinging, Pulling, cramping and aching, etc.
• Sensations of intense cold
All these problems would vanish while the treatment area becomes numb. There is however, possibility of certain temporary Cryolipolysis side effects after the completion of this nonsurgical fat reduction procedure. These include:
• Redness, swelling, bruising
• Tenderness, skin sensitivity
• Aching, cramping
All these side effects will subside usually within few days after the treatment.
How much does Cryolipolysis treatment cost?
The Cryolipolysis cost treatment lies in the range of $2000 to $4000, based on the targeted area of the surgery and its size.
The role of applicator: The applicator size also holds a major say in deciding the cost of this aesthetic or beauty treatment.
• Smaller areas like chin or upper abdomen need small applicator and hence they may cost you around $900.
• Likewise, larger targeted areas such as lower abdomen need the use of comparably larger sized applicator hence it may cost more; $1500 to be precise.
Cryolipolysis cost in India: The average cost for Cryolipolysis treatment in India starts from somewhere around 45,000 INR. This cost is for smaller areas like chin or removal of double chin. With the increase in the treatment area, the Cryolipolysis cost may shoot up to several lakhs.
What can you expect from this treatment?
Cryolipolysis is an effective and safe method to remove excess fat by cooling the targeted fat tissues under the skin. These cooled fat cells become crystals and die out. The entire process is slow and it may take few weeks to months for the expected results to reflect.
The decomposition of the fat after the treatment is a natural process, which will leave your more sculpted. The elimination of dead fat cells helps you to part ways with the stubborn fatty areas, which you are not able to reduce even by suggested diet or exercising. But it is not a weight loss method; hence, any expectation to get your body absolutely free from the fat would be unfair.
What about recovery?
The initial results may take around three weeks to show up. The complete recovery and final results will become evident in two to three months. Moreover, the process of fat flushing continues for around 6 months for the first session. If requires, you may have to go for second session, which is a rarity.
Till date, more than 4 million people have benefiting Cool Sculpting. After undergoing one complete session of Cryolipolysis treatment, you can anticipate fat reduction up to around 20-25%. As a roundabout estimate of the success of this procedure, more than 80% people who go for it, prefer recommending it to others. Interestingly, around 79% of patients felt happy with the way their clothes fit their body after undergoing this nonsurgical fat reduction method.
What are the takeaways?
Hence, you can consider it as a safe method, which leave you without any major risks or side effects. You may feel swelling, sensitive or bruising, which will go away within few days of the treatment. However, if you have ever suffered from Raynaud’s disease, or have psychological problems with cold temperatures or intense sensitivity, better avoid it. Overall, the procedure is helpful in removing the bulging fat and lets you flaunt a nearly slim body.
Still, like in almost any other medical treatment, it is good consult your physician to know if you are right candidate for Coolsculpting. The expert will also make you aware of all the involved pros and cons of the Cryolipolysis treatment.
The information is being provided by PlasticSurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Tejinder Bhatti on: 23-AUG-2019