Ever heard of killing the fat cells with a controlled thermal temperature? Seems strange, but the medical science has made this possible, and the treatment is known as Cryolipolysis. Patented with the name of Coolsculpting and approved by FDA, this technique freezes and then terminates the targeted fat cells in the human body. You may come across many non-surgical fat reduction treatments and medications that make tall claims, but they come and go being transient flashes in the pan. Thankfully, this one is here to stay mostly because it has the backing of several happy patients for its long-term efficacy.
More about Cryolipolysis
If you want to get rid of excess fat in your body without going on weight loss regime like exercising or controlled diet, this is perhaps the best idea to follow. For this treatment, the surgeon uses cold treatment to reduce fat cells with the help of a cryolipolysis machine that consists of an attached mouthpiece. The controlled freezing cools down the fat cells till they acquire their crystal form. The body then disposes off these frozen fat cells naturally.
How it broke the ice?
This procedure came to the fore during a research that intended to analyze the impact of cold on human body cells. As per research findings, fat cells reacted positively to cold; much more than other cells in the body, like organ, nerve or muscle cells. In fact, at 4 degree Celsius, the fat cells started to crystallize, and gave way to Coolsculpting. The treatment hence addresses some specific locations of adamant fat cells that are completely unresponsive to your regular exercise and diet efforts.
The targeted areas
You can try out this cooling treatment to get away with the unwanted fat cells accumulated on:
• Abdomen, both lower and upper
• Side and upper arms
• Love handles or flanks
• Breast and back fat
• Outer and inner thighs
Experienced cosmetic surgeons or dermatologists are the best to perform Coolsculpting on the patients willing to break free from fat cells on certain body locations. Overall, the method is simple, painless and invites little or no side effects. Here is the systematic procedure to carry out this treatment.
1. Consult with your surgeon regarding your medical history and the area of your body that requires fat reduction. Fix the appointment for this non-invasive surgery accordingly.
2. To start with, the surgeon assesses the position of fatty bulge where he needs to mark the applicator.
3. Depending on the dimensions of the treatment area, he will choose an applicator of a suitable size and curvature.
4. Next, he marks the concerned area to place the applicator
5. Alongside, he places gel pad on the patient’s skin for protection
6. He starts applying the applicator to vacuum the bulge into the hollow portion of the applicator
7. Subsequently, the temperature starts to drop inside the applicator, making the areas of treatment numb.
8. This freezes the fat cells and end up killing them through natural mechanism.
9. In several instances, patients may experience cooling sensation for few minutes during the cooling step.
The fact that cryolipolysis is non-invasive, it sets the patient free from getting anesthesia, cuts or medications, which may result in allergic behaviors later on. You can watch TV, play game on your smartphone or enjoy a web series while the procedure is on. So cool, isn’t it? Depending on the size of the treatment areas, the entire process takes around 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete. The surgeon then removes the applicator and massages the area to ensure enhances results.
Risks and side effects
The chances of side effects are very less with cryolipolysis as compared to liposuction or other fat reduction treatment. This is because it is a minimally invasive surgical procedure. An analysis done by Aesthetic Surgery Journal revealed that only 12 out of 1445 people treated for Cool Sculpting experienced complications. This is less than 1% and hence is next to negligible. The possible side effects that you may rarely come across include bruising, sensitivity, temporary numbness, localized pain, redness of skin, etc.
What to expect?
The fat cells need time for removal through natural process, such as through kidney or urine, etc. To be precise, the treated cells die out within two weeks, but it may take around three to six months before the liver flushes the decomposed fat cells completely. For optimal results, the surgeons recommend 2-3 appointments. Once the process completes, the outcomes of cryolipolysis are permanent. On the darker side, killing existing fat leaves no effect on the growth of new fat cells. Moreover, you cannot rule out the long-term side effects of Cool Sculpting.
At the best, it is advisable to continue with your workouts and balanced diet after the treatment, hence ensuring a healthy lifestyle. There is no need of any medication or food supplements, just take care of your body. Keep visiting your surgeon as per suggested for additional treatments if required.
Cost of Cryolipolysis
The treatment for small areas like chin may cost up to $900 as they require small size applicators. Procedures that require large applicators may cost up to $5,000 per session. The cost also depends very much on your respective location. So it’s better to visit your nearby Cool sculpting clinic and find out the cost yourself. Most likely, it will remain within your budget. Remember that you will not get insurance for Coolsculpting as it does not intend to cure a health condition but is a cosmetic procedure.
Cryolipolysis is an innovative method to reduce fat without going under the knife. It crystallizes the fat cells that ultimately pass out through natural process hence helping you to cut fat appreciably. This process is effective in cases where you find it hard to remove additional fat through exercise or balanced diet. But keep in mind that it is not a miracle treatment and it does not remove fat in entirety either. Hence, it is wise to have realistic expectations only with this procedure.
At times, some patients may even face adverse reactions. To be on the brighter side, it is one of the better advancements of cosmetic medical science, which leads to painless and incision-free treatment. You need to know if the doctor who offers this treatment is well trained and experienced in this modality of fat loss. Also, make sure that the clinic has appropriate equipment and applicators of requisite size to make the treatment easier.
Do you feel bad about your visual appearance and want a facelift? Have you injured your face severely in an accident and want to regain your looks? Do you want to remove that excess fat to get back your toned figure? In all such cases, cosmetic surgery can be your ultimate resort. Still, since it involves surgical procedures on your body, it may be difficult to opt for since you may have apprehensions of safety and efficacy. Further, cost considerations and apprehensions about the results could also keep you away from cosmetic surgery. What you need to do therefore is to research the procedures completely, make a visit to some clinics and then make the right decision. This article provides more information to help you to decide further-
The Foremost Thing – Are You Sure?
Your decision could have a long lasting impact on your personality. If things go the right way, you can get near natural appearance to flaunt. On the other hand, if things do not go the way as intended, it could disappoint you. As a result, you can also have adverse effects on your personality and self-confidence. Hence, the main thing is to be sure if you really want to choose this procedure to correct some imperfections in your body that you detest or dislike. If you think that your self esteem and social life is getting affected by these infirmities in body shape and structure, it is time you seriously consider getting cosmetic surgery done. Your research and sense of inquiry will help you in allaying apprehensions you may have about going under the knife.
Get Ready For Introspection
This is important! You need to prepare for the cosmetic surgery from within before you say ‘YES’ literaly. In the run, here are few questions that you need to ask yourself and try to get honest answers for the same.
1. Am I concerned about my appearance unnecessarily?
2. Do I really look unappealing or I am not so good looking as compared to others in my social circle?
3. Am I feeling low due to my appearance?
4. Have I tried enough to enhance my visual appearance before opting for this cosmetic procedure?
5. Do I wish to go for cosmetic surgery, just because I have seen others in my acquaintance opting for it with success?
6. Am I aware of the probable consequences of the treatment?
7. Do I have realistic expectations from the surgery?
8. Do I intend to become more popular with the surgery, or it is just to please my inner self?
9. Will the surgery infuse positivity in my life?
10. Are there other better ways that could enhance my appearance?
11. Do I want it to improve my social life or job prospects?
12. Will the surgery improve my relationship with my closed ones?
13. Can it help me to shed off the negativity and infuse a positive attitude in my life?
14. Am I ready to bear the cost of cosmetic surgery and the aftercare expenditure?
15. Is cosmetic surgery really the last option for me?
Here Are Few Good Reasons To Say Yes To Cosmetic Surgery
1. I can’t identify myself while looking into the mirror.
2. I want to change the perception of an angry and tired person, which people have of me
3. My regular workouts and diet do not reflect in my personality.
4. To hell with everything! I just want the cosmetic surgery for myself.
Confirmed? Now let’s do some research
If after doing all the introspection, you finally decide in favor of cosmetic surgery, now is the time to do some research work.
1. To start with, try to explore almost everything possible about the treatment.
2. Know all the pros and cons related to the cosmetic surgery you are contemplating.
3. Consider all the expenses involved with the procedure including the surgery, the aftercare, additional surgery (if required).
4. Try to find out the response of patients who have already undergone the surgery, whether in the vicinity or online.
5. At the best, consult an expert surgeon after doing detailed research about his credibility.
Visit your surgeon
Consulting an experienced surgeon could help you remove many of your reservations regarding the surgery. As you choose a preferred one, try booking an appointment for in person consultation with him at the earliest.
In the one-to-session with the surgeon, make sure that you clarify all your apprehensions regarding the surgery. In addition, also make sure that the surgeon talks about:
1. The realistic expectations you have with the surgery.
2. The change you want in your visual appearance.
3. All the minute to major details about the surgery.
4. The complications involved during and after the surgery.
5. The cost involved in the process and whether your insurance will cover it.
Besides, if you are too much concerned about the change in your relationships, social equations or job, you may also fix an appointment with a counselor or opt for psychological therapy sessions. The motive here is to set you free from all the confusions and anxieties that you have regarding the surgery. This will ultimately help you instill self-confidence which is the prime motive besides happiness.
Your Decision & Red Flag Signs
After consulting with the surgeon and knowing all the involved facts, you can still give yourself ample time or a ‘cooling-off period’ before deciding for the treatment. Make sure you do not make your decision in haste or in pressure. If you find something suspicious after talking to the surgeon, such as if:
• He performs the surgery in hotels, private homes or shops and showrooms.
• Lures you into time-bound deals and discounts
• Asks you to go for group treatments
• Stresses on giving your consent for additional procedures that he didn’t mention earlier
In all such cases, you can simply switch over to some other more experienced and genuine surgeon.
To conclude, it is for you to decide whether the cosmetic surgery is a right option for you or not. No other person can force you to go for it. If you feel that it could work in improving your appearance and personality or if it could infuse positive attitude toward life, then you can feel free to proceed. In any case, it is wise to have realistic and rational expectations and do not anticipate miracles.
The information is being provided by plasticsurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Plastic Surgeon on: 20-JUN-2020
“Dr. Tejinder Bhatti is a Plastic surgeon by training but now completely dedicated to the art and science of minimally invasive hair restoration surgery. He also runs a hospital, the Five Rivers Hospital in Mohali, Chandigarh where junior Cosmetic surgeons perform esthetic Cosmetic surgery under the overall supervision of Dr. Kulwant S Bhangoo who is the Chairman of the Program. Dr. Bhangoo is certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgeons. He is an internationally renowned top cosmetic surgeon and chief of Cosmetic Surgery in Buffalo NY, USA.”