Enhance your Appearance with Scar Revision Procedure
Who wants a scar? No one! But at times, it is unavoidable. Skin injury affects numerous layers of skin, may it be due to trauma, burn, acne, surgery, or other conditions. It then results in forming scars that affects your appearance. Usually, scars are permanent but competent scar treatment may refurbish mobility of your face and make your scars less visible.
What exactly is Scar Revision?
Usually a cosmetic process, scar revision comes handy in enhancing the appearance of present scars on your body. It may bring back lost function in the scarred area, in few cases. Depending on the types of scars, they may accompany surgical as well as non-surgical alternatives. Your plastic surgeon will assist you to opt for the most effective treatment for yourself in this regard.
Why you must opt for Scar Revision?
Scars makes you look unattractive, particularly if it is the outcome of an injury or wound healing just after the surgery. Evidently, they may cause embarrassment and reticence. They may be discolored, jagged, or visible because of placement. Notably, scar revision improves the look of the scar, or it may replace scars with one, which is less evident and aesthetically more gratifying.
The Scar revision procedure
Various alternatives exist for correcting a scar or incorporating non-surgical ones. Consulting a surgeon will help you out to choose the most apt method for you.
· Dermabrasion: This method incorporates removal of upper layer of skin by means of a wire brush or drawl fastened to a motor. It efficiently polishes the skin, thereby softening the appearance of existing scars.
· Laser Skin Resurfacing: It involves the use of a laser to remove top layer of skin (damaged spot). Moreover, it creates the growth of new collagen. Smooth skin appears in the spot of the scar.
· Dermal Fillers: These are vaccinations of medical substances, utilized to plump buried scars. Fillers incorporate fat, collagen, and hyaluronic acid. However, this treatment is not permanent and it will fade away within a year.
· Complete Scar Removal: In this procedure, the surgeon administers anesthesia to the patient and proceeds with wound closure. This process necessitates a skin graft and needs about 3 to 4 months for the scars to mature.
All these techniques used by surgeons are instrumental in removing or reducing the scars, immaterial of the time they exist on the patient’s body.
Risks involved in Scar Revision
Non-surgical scars come with minor risks like redness, bruising, irritation in skin, hyper-pigmentation, or some allergic reactions. On the other hand, if you have undergone surgical revision, the risks include anesthesia reaction, hematoma, bleeding, change in skin color, infection, and abnormality in outlines of skin.
But, how to avoid these risks? One of the best ways to evade risks is to select Certified Plastic Surgeon for scar revision. The surgeon needs to be experienced, up-to-date, and well equipped about the methods to minimize scars. He must be capable enough to advise you best possible method for best outcome. No doubt, Certified surgeons offer high-quality services to their patients.
How can you see the outcome?
The outcome of the scar revision surgery will be visible once the surgeon removes the stitches, the swelling reduces, and recovery time-span is over. The appropriate time will differ according to the treatment you have opted. Even though, some surgical revisions will not fade to their final appearance for a year, but once scars heal, the outcomes will be permanent. Some treatments may need repetition, say for instance dermal fillers, as it faded after a year or so. As a result, you need to opt for another round of vaccinations.
Post surgery side effects and care
The patient must discuss some general guidelines with the surgeon for post-surgery period.
· Side effects: To some extent, you may experience some kind of discomfort subsequent to scar revision surgery. You may also experience swelling, redness, or bruising.
· Initial results: In order to ensure best result, it is vital for you to track your surgeon's after-care suggestions. The surgeon will remove the stitches after few days of the surgery, but still your skin will necessitate sometime to heal. You may not witness the full extent of upgrading for up to one year.
· Do’s and Don’ts: The surgeons advise the patients to avoid doing several activities after the surgery, as you have to keep your head elevated while lying down. They may also recommend you to use cold compresses to decrease swelling and avoid activity that brings undue stress. Owing to the kind of process performed and the area, the surgeon may instruct you about the pros and cons in detail.
· Check your medications: Review your medications properly in consultation with the surgeon and be cautious that you do not consume extra dosage without asking your surgeon.
Last but not the least; follow-up care is very important to check the healing of scar revision process. You must report anything abnormal that you witness to your surgeon right away. It is also necessary to keep your follow-up arrangements with your surgeon. Abiding by the specific instructions of your surgeon will help you cover your scars more quickly.