Labiaplasty is a genital plastic surgery procedure for females meant to address the issues with the labia minora and labia majora. The most commonly executed vaginal rejuvenation procedure it can effectively alter the size, thickness or shape of the labia. The surgeon attains these results by correcting the problem of asymmetry between the labia or reducing their size. Let’s have a look as to how Labiaplasty can actually benefit you and whether you are an ideal candidate for the procedure.
Women opt for this treatment for a variety of reasons, including extreme pain from the tugging and twisting of the labia during intercourse, riding a bike, irritation or itching. Few also choose it because they don’t necessarily like the appearance of their labia. For women, it’s natural to have noticeable skin folds around the vaginal opening and this shouldn’t be an issue in most cases.
Many women choose this surgery to address the emotional and physical discomfort in their genital region. Quite similar to other surgical procedures, it is crucial to comprehend that several factors might dictate your eligibility for the procedure. During your consultation with the doctor, they would go through your current health status along with your medical history to ensure that the treatment would be safe and beneficial for you. Candidates for labiaplasty include women who:
• Have fully developed vagina
• Have good overall physical and mental health
• Have augmented vaginal lips
• Are not on any kind of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or blood thinners. If so, then they should quit a few weeks prior to the treatment
• Do not drink or smoke or can at least commit to quitting both for a certain amount of time before and after the procedure
Labiaplasty is an excellent way to regain form and comfort to your vagina without affecting the sexual ability or the sensitivity. Your doctor would hear your concerns during the initial consultation and communicate with you to address the problem so that you can achieve the intended results. Many reasons are responsible for women to consider getting labiaplasty. Whether it is cosmetic dissatisfaction or emotional and physical difficulties, your doctor would help you in understanding how the procedure can help you and thereby regain your confidence and comfort.
• Better hygiene
• Reducing the discomfort when indulging in sports or during exercising
• Addressing issues of recurrent irritation caused due to protrusion
• Addressing declined sexual stimulation, which can include disproportionate clitoral covering
• Helping women overcome emotional discomfort when around with their intimate partners
• Helps women in overcoming embarrassment when wearing a bathing suit or fitted clothes
Generally, the surgeons perform labiaplasty after administering a general anesthesia or by combining it with sedation. The procedure includes reshaping or shortening the vaginal lips. The cosmetic surgeon uses a scalpel or laser to cut away the unwanted tissue and then stitches back the loose edge with dissolvable stitches. The wedge procedure is next in line of popularity, which involves removal of a pie-shaped tissue so that it maintains a natural esthetic border. Besides, it is also possible to minimize the extra folds of the clitoral hood. The entire surgery can take anywhere between an hour and two and some patients might also be able to get back home the same day.
You might have to take a week off work for the healing process during which the swelling and pain can reduce further. In addition, here are some other important points to consider, which could help you in speedy recover:
• Keep the area sanitary to prevent any kind of infections
• Use a cold pack to soothe the region and reduce the pain
• Lie with your bottom elevated to reduce the swelling
• Wear loose clothes and undergarments to avoid rubbing
• Use sanitary towels instead of tampons at least for a few weeks after the procedure
• Avoid having intercourse for four to six weeks after the treatment
Your doctor would tell you about all the precautionary measures that you need to follow and any further tips that would help with the recovery process.
Typically, after labiaplasty, the labia minora would no longer hang below the labia majora. Most women who had troubles with the tugging and twisting of their labia would find relief after the procedure.
Labiaplasty is an effective way to rejuvenate the appearance of the vagina and restore comfort while not affecting the sexual function or sensitivity. It is essential to note that the procedure does not intend to enhance sexual satisfaction or pleasure. In case you have any doubts, it would be best to speak to your surgeon and ask for a detailed explanation of the procedure along with the risks involved. He can also guide you to better prepare for the surgery ahead.
The information is being provided by PlasticSurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Plastic Surgeon on: 20-JUN-2020
“Dr. Tejinder Bhatti is a cosmetic plastic surgeon by training but now completely dedicated to the art and science of minimally invasive hair restoration surgery. He also runs a hospital, the Five Rivers Hospital in Mohali, Chandigarh where junior plastic surgeons perform esthetic plastic surgery under the overall supervision of Dr. Kulwant S Bhangoo who is the Chairman of the Program. Dr. Bhangoo is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. He is an internationally renowned top cosmetic surgeon and chief of Plastic Surgery in Buffalo NY, USA.”