The thigh lift process aims at reshaping the thighs. Surgeons mostly recommend this procedure to the patients who have already underwent liposuction since it reduces the body weight and makes one’s appearance more appealing. In the procedure, the surgeon removes extra fat and skin from outer or inner part of the thigh. Usually, it is suitable for people who fail to remove extra tissues in their thighs with exercise of dieting. In addition, people who want to contour their body after substantial weight loss may also find refuge in the thigh lift treatment. Here is all you need to know about the procedure:
You should have the below-mentioned qualities to be an ideal candidate:
• You are healthy and free from any medical issues that can hamper your healing after surgery or increase the risks in thigh lift surgery.
• You are a non-smoker because smoking can impede quick healing.
• Your body weight is stable.
• You are well aware of the realistic results of surgery.
• You are committed to nutrition, fitness and all other elements, which lead to a healthy lifestyle.
• You have extra soft tissue at the inner or outer thigh
When it comes to a surgical procedure, there are always some pros and cons. If you are planning to go for it, you must be aware of all the bad things, which can take place apart from the positive results.
Your surgeon can explain all the conditions in a detailed manner including all the possible risks associated with surgery. Once you become aware of them, you can decide the better way whether to opt for thigh lift or not. If the risks are acceptable to you, then you will have to sign some consent forms and be sure that you know all the potential complications before doing so.
The major risks involved in a process include as below:
• Slow wound healing
• Wound separation
• Accumulation of fluid
• Anaesthesia risks
• Poor Scarring
• There may be visible sutures
• Looseness in skin
At times, the results may not come as per expectations and in such situations, you may need a revisionary surgery.
If you have made your mind to undergo surgery, your doctor may advise you to:
• Go through a medical evaluation
• Take the prescribed medicines and control or stop current medications
• Stop smoking immediately (if you are a smoker)
• Stop consuming any herbal supplements or additional medications such as aspirin.
• Stop taking anti-inflammatory drugs
1. Anaesthesia: To ensure your comfort during the procedure your doctor may give you intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
2. Incision: Done with extreme precision, this crucial step varies depending upon contour and extra skin available. The area which to be treated, your preference and your surgeon’s preference along with degree of correction are some factors that determine the pattern of the incision. Here is a quick look at the incisions created for different thigh lift surgeries:
• Inner thigh lift: It requires short incisions that extend from the thigh’s anterior part to the crease of buttock.
• Anterior and lateral thigh lift: These surgeries require the surgeon to create spiral incisions, which the patient can easily conceal beneath the underwear.
• Thigh and buttock lift: Also called as circumferential lower body lift, this procedure will require longer incision. Starting from the buttock crease, it will go up to the groin, above the flank, over abdomen and around the back.
3. Closing incisions: In this step, the surgeon uses skin adhesive tapes or sutures to close incisions made in the treated area. They help the new contours to form and support.
To help your body recover quickly, the surgeon may apply bandages to your surgical incisions. Next, he may place some thin and small tubes may on your skin to drain out your excess blood or fluid.
You may have to follow some instructions, like:
• Taking care of the treated area as per your doctor’s guidance
• Consult your surgeon on a definite interval
• Medicines to take orally or apply on the treated area to support the healing process
The process of recovery for this surgery varies depending on the part of thigh that needs treatment.
The cost of thigh lift surgery varies to a great length depending upon multiple factors. Before heading for surgery, you must examine all the costs involved in the total cost and then chose the best option among all the available choices.
The fees of the surgeon will completely depend on the experience he or she possesses and the procedure they are about to use for thigh lift.
Besides, there will be many things involved in your total cost of surgery, such as:
• Charges of administering Anaesthesia
• Costs of Surgical facilities
• Cost of Hospital facility
• Fees of Surgeon
• Medical Tests
• Geographical location
As per American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) statistics of 2018, the average thigh lift surgery charge is $5317. In India it would most likely hover around USD 2000-3000 and cost is less if combined with other procedures.
Numerous plastic surgeons provide financing plans to the patients, so make sure that you gather all the relevant information before going under the knife. This is important even if you have health insurance beforehand. Notably, not all insurance policies cover plastic surgeries such as thigh lift, so check out everything.
The initial results for thigh lift treatment will start reflecting in the starting few days itself, but complete results may take several months to surface. It may leave behind few scars, but the procedure will improve the overall appearance of your skin quality. The result will be long lasting, but you will lose firmness with your age. Yet the initial changes should remain permanent. As with any other surgery, this one also promises to furnish good results, but no surgeon would guarantee you the same. It will all depend on your healing capability, your health and age. At times, if single surgery does not produce expected results, the surgeons may recommend you to opt for another thigh lift surgery. At the best, you should keep all these factors in mind before opting for it.
The information is being provided by PlasticSurgery.in and have no intention to replace the medical advice of your doctor. Please consult your doctor directly for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed by Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Plastic Surgeon on: 20-JUN-2020
“Dr. Tejinder Bhatti is a cosmetic plastic surgeon by training but now completely dedicated to the art and science of minimally invasive hair restoration surgery. He also runs a hospital, the Five Rivers Hospital in Mohali, Chandigarh where junior plastic surgeons perform esthetic plastic surgery under the overall supervision of Dr. Kulwant S Bhangoo who is the Chairman of the Program. Dr. Bhangoo is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. He is an internationally renowned top cosmetic surgeon and chief of Plastic Surgery in Buffalo NY, USA.”